FOUR more people have died in Wales today after testing positive to coronavirus as the death toll hit 285.
It comes after the tragic news that an 18-year-old boy became the youngest victim killed after being diagnosed with the deadly bug.
⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates
And Boris Johnson warned a total lockdown was on the cards unless Brits stay home.
The PM warned selfish Brits not listening to advice designed to save lives that he could soon enforce a more serious lockdown – similar to the ones in Italy, France and Spain.
In his address yesterday, Mr Johnson said: "I don't think you need to use your imagination very much to see where we might have to go, and we will think about this very very actively in the next 24 hours.
"We need to think about the kind of measures we've seen elsewhere – other countries that have been forced to bring in restrictions on people's movements altogether, now as I say I don't want to do that."
There was anger at scenes over the weekend of crowds flocking to parks, markets, beaches and beauty spots.
It came as an 18-year-old was thought to have become the youngest victim of the virus in Britain.
The teen victim died at University Hospital in Coventry.
Professor Kiran Patel, Chief Medical Officer for University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust said: "We can confirm that sadly a patient who was being treated for significant underlying health issues has passed away at University Hospital, Coventry.
"They had also tested for COVID-19 on the day before they died but this was not linked to their reason for dying.
"Our thoughts and condolences remain with the patient’s family and loved ones at this difficult time."
There are growing fears that Britain is on a similar trajectory to Italy – scene of the world's worst coronavirus outbreak – where the death toll passed 5,000 over the weekend.
The Italian government was one of a number of European countries to announce new or extended restrictions – with Germany banning public gatherings of more than two people not from the same household.
Mr Johnson warned the NHS could be "overwhelmed" in the same way as the Italian healthcare system has been, if the spread of the virus in the UK is not curbed.
And Health Secretary Matt Hancock warned young people were at risk – saying nobody was safe.
It comes after supermarkets including Iceland and Tesco had recently introduced special store hours for NHS staff to ensure they can access food and essentials.
But sobbing staff were shoved out of the way as panic buyers hijacked the reserved store time.
And in one shocking video, huge crowds were seen in a Tesco as shelves were stripped bare.
It comes after one nurse made a tearful plea to fellow shoppers to stop stockpiling food and essentials after ending her 48-hour shift to find supermarket shelves empty.
Other NHS nurses have claimed they have been forced to buy their own aprons and treat patients without wearing masks.
The alleged supply shortage of vital protective equipment is said to be placing hospital staff under increased stress as the nation’s nurses battle to care for sick patients.
Meanwhile, six ambulances were unable to deliver life-saving care after vandals punctured their tyres.
The emergency response vehicles were targeted at a Make Ready Depot in Ramsgate, Kent, on Sunday.
Paramedics already feeling the strain amid the spread of Covid-19 arrived at work shortly after 7am to find holes had been deliberately drilled into the tyres in a senseless overnight attack.
Source: Read Full Article