Jonathan Majors gets new New York City court date on charges of harassment and assault
- The actor was arrested on March 25 on misdemeanor charges for allegedly attacking Grace Jabbari, his former girlfriend
- Majors appeared virtually in New York court on Wednesday and prosecution filed a certificate of compliance, signaling that they’re ready for trial
Actor Jonathan Majors had his trial on allegations of the assault of an ex delayed over a legal technicality that will push his case for at least a couple of weeks.
The actor was arrested on March 25 on misdemeanor charges for allegedly attacking Grace Jabbari, his former girlfriend.
Majors appeared virtually in New York criminal court on Wednesday and prosecution filed a certificate of compliance, signaling that they’re ready for trial.
His attorneys, however, have said they’ve found deficiencies with the certificate.
Majors’ new trial date has not yet been set. He vehemently denies all wrongdoing.
The actor was arrested on March 25 on misdemeanor charges for allegedly attacking Grace Jabbari, his former girlfriend
Grace Jabbari is alleged to have attacked the Creed actor first and reportedly admitted in text messages to being the aggressor
Jabbari initially told police Majors hit and strangled her, but the strangulation charges were dropped. Now, he is only charged with hurting her arm.
Jabbari admitted to Majors in text messages that she was the aggressor, his lawyers claim. After the alleged attack, she was seen at nightclubs drinking and partying with friends.
Majors has always maintained his innocence, and NYPD sources cited by The New York Times say there’s enough evidence to also charge Jabbari for attacking him.
It remains unclear why she has not yet been arrested.
Majors filed his own domestic violence claim against her in June, telling police he had been slapped and scratched by a violent and ‘hysterical’ Jabbari.
Majors, whose star was quickly rising, was dropped by his management firm and PR firm after the charges were dropped.
He has attended previous court appearances with his new girlfriend, actress Meagan Good.
In the immediate aftermath of the incident, Jabbari texted Majors to apologize.
Majors, 33, strode into court with new girlfriend Meagan Good and his attorneys for the first day of his assault and harassment trial in August
The actor has always maintained his innocence and filed his own domestic violence claim against his accuser
‘Please let me know when you got this. They assured me that you won’t be charged. They said they had to arrest you as protocol when they saw the injuries on me and they knew we had a fight.
‘I’m so angry that they did. And I’m sorry you’re in this position. Will make sure nothing happens about this. I told them it was my fault for trying to grab your phone… I only just got out of hospital… just call me when you are out.’
The actor did not respond.
A few hours later, around 9:30pm, she sent another text message to Majors, telling him that she spoke to officials again.
In the text, she wrote: ‘Reiterated how this was not an attack and they do not have my blessing on any charges being placed.’
His attorneys submitted surveillance footage from NYC nightclubs that show Jabbari out with friends using the hand she said was injured in the ‘attack’.
Majors’ attorney Priya Chaudhry said after a recent hearing: ‘One hundred and thirty-one days ago, authorities unjustly cuffed Jonathan Majors in his own home, hauling him off to jail based on the word of a woman now hunted by the NYPD.
‘Bravely, Jonathan Majors laid bare to the NYPD the relentless, alcohol-fueled abuse he suffered at the hands of Grace Jabbari, an enduring nightmare in their relationship. Now, as soon as Jabbari sets foot back in New York, the NYPD stands ready to arrest her.
‘For an excruciating four months, Jonathan Majors, the real victim in this shameful ordeal, has had his life, career, and reputation torn apart. Yet he remains unwavering in his determination to be absolved from this harrowing ordeal.’
Source: Read Full Article